Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dennis Johnson's Emergency

Just looking at the title and the first few sentences of the story, I though this short story was going to be about the daily life of someone that worked in the medical field at a hospital. As I read further, I soon realized this was not the case.
"Emergency" almost seems like a dream in many parts of the story and the reader is left wondering when these events took place or even if they really even took place. On the very first page the narrator speaks of a friend that regularly steals and consumes prescription pills from the hospital so that does have some bearing on the events of the story. The way the story seemed to shift back and forth from different settings and happenings was interesting and the author did this without making the change confusing.
The storyline dealing with the Terrence Webber character almost seemed like a scene out of the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". It featured a seemingly rare, out there injury which could possibly happen in real life, in this case Terrance had been stabbed close to the eye area with a hunting knife by his wife. Very dramatic yet it seemed to have a humorous twist to it. I definitely found that particular section unique and not necessarily something you would see everyday or even in a short story.
The rest of the story is what seemed to have a dream like feel to it in my opinion. Starting on page 388 when "a jack rabbit scurried out in front of us, and we hit it", the tone felt monotonous and not excited or startled at any degree since one of the main characters doesn't even notice that they have hit a rabbit and is busy talking about rides at the fair. I did like how they referenced the hunting knife from the previous scene at the hospital to the death of the jack rabbit. The whole situation with the baby bunnies was a little disturbing and its interesting how they are a main focus then the story drifts to the weather then back to the bunnies to finish up that portion of the story. The end of the story which deals with an introduction to a new character Hardee. I'm guessing Hardee was being drafted during the Vietnam war and Georgie suggest they will get him to Canada. I did like the exchange between Hardee and Georgie to end this story, bringing the fact he saves lives back into the story and wrapping it up.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, all of the narrator's heightened sensations, because he's high, give it that dream-like feel . . .

    ReplyDelete