Thursday, March 22, 2012

Response to Cary's "Meow"

This story is about Cyril, a young boy who obviously has a disability of some kind, and it goes through  day with him. The story starts out with Cyril reading a journal of his attractive female neighbor, Annie, who soon realizes that he has broken into her family's home and is quite mad that he has not only read her journal but a little freaked out that he has broken into her house. He then goes to visit his friend Earl, who owns a Captain D's and to visit his stray cat friend, Jimmy-cat. After a startling finding of Jimmy-cat, Earl explains that Jimmy wasn't a boy cat and that she has had kittens. Concluding with a happy ending to a good story!

Cary, I really liked your story! I think it was different and interesting to have the main character and point of view with a person who has a disability. You portrayed Cyril with such innocence and I loved that about the character. I also really like the whole setting with the Captain D's, Earl, and Jimmy-cat. When Cyril found Jimmy-cat "covered in ketchup", I thought for sure that Jimmy-cat had been hit by a car or was dying but I was pleasantly surprised that "Jimmy was actually a Jasmine or Jennifer" and had kittens. I thought that whole scene was very well done and well written. You also had a lot of great imagery like when you are talking about the moleskin journal and describing the dumpster where the cat lives.

The only part I might expand on is the beginning with the neighbor, perhaps to find more of a way to connect that to the ending or maybe show some more examples of Cyril during a typical day or maybe even a flashback to a scene with his mom who eventually leaves or mention something about his dad. You have a lot going on and enough to work with to make a good story even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment