In this short story, a family of three, a mom, dad, and infant, begin the story as the mom is doing something around the stove, the father is putting on a door, and the infant near the mother on the floor. The infant soon begins screaming and the parents soon realize that the infant is soaked in boiling water.The father tries to clean off the infant with cool water but the infant is still crying. The father then notices that the infant's diaper has not been changed and that the boiling water is inside the diaper. The parents rush the infant to the emergency room and the story ends with no insight on what happens to the infant.
I will say this in an intense story and one that I will definitely remember. Having an infant being burned by scolding, hot water is an horrific image and the author does a good job of making the reader interested in what happens next. There is also a good bit of imagery in this story which I always like since I am very detail oriented. I also noticed that the sentences are quite long and sometimes that can be a hit or miss but I actually really liked this form in the story. I also noticed how none of the characters had names and I think for such a story this worked well. It kind of gave that feeling like this incident could happen to any family. I kind of wish I knew what happend to the infant but if the audience did know then I'm not sure the story would have the same effect.
"Incarantions of Burned Children" is not something I would have necessarily read if I had not been in this class but I'm glad I did. Although the subeject matter can be quite disturbing and morbid at times, much like the other short story which featured a baby being thrown into a dumpster, these are not stories I forget about. I'm used to reading stories that do have the happy ending or sugar coated but I'm learning to read more outside my comfort zone and incorporate into my own pieces. Overall, this piece was very haunting and well written!
No comments:
Post a Comment