Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Response to Rhama's "Cats"

 This story takes the reader through a typical day at a cat shelter in which, a cat obsessed woman, young worker, and a cat, Lily are the main characters. Lily, a one-eyed, seemingly gentle cat who is always left behind and never adopted seems to be at the center of the story. As the end draws near we soon realize why Lily has never been adopted...she isn't exactly friendly. Lily's story at the beginning is pretty much the same as the beginning which is that she is alone and still doesn't have a family but we are given a clearer picture on why this is.

 I really enjoyed this story! I thought there was a lot of great imagery from detailing the shelter to the kittens and especially the scene with the family coming to look at the cats. I also liked how the human characters didn't have names and that Lily was the only one throughout the story that was named. It gave the sense that Lily was actually the main character which I thought was really interesting and unique. I also thought you characterized a "cat lady" perfectly, I can just picture this older woman who has basically given up her life to take care of these cats and I think you did a good job with the younger shelter worker as well. The scene towards the end was also well written and I liked seeing the transformation of Lily because you just thought it was this sweet, little one eyed cat and that people didn't want her due to her looks but that's not really the case.

 The only confusion I had was that I wasn't entirely sure what the story was about. But, I think by making the story longer and maybe adding more about the humans or even Lily it would even it out a bit more. Overall, I thought you did a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment