Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Response to Adam Smith's story

In this story we meet Lucy, a woman who decides to adopt a young orphan girl, Margaret. You soon realize that Lucy clearly thinks there are not many good people in the world and in return shelters and becomes an over-bearing parent to Margaret. As Margret gets older, she is clearly bored and does not like living the sheltered life she has come to know. She meets a young man, Marcus, who is the milk delivery man and they soon become friends and get the feeling a romantic relationship is coming. However, after a night at the local theater Margaret learns that Marcus is not the person she thought he was and perhaps her mother was right in some aspects.

This story was very interesting and I really enjoyed reading it. I really like how the story is set in England after World War II, it's a good location and setting for this story. I also liked the characters of Lucy and Margaret, although there have been stories with the over-bearing mother and the pretty young daughter, I think you did a good job of not making it too generic. The ending was another aspect of the story that I liked. Lucy mentions that there are plenty of "wolves" in the world and at the end of the story Margaret sees that first hand after her mother had been trying to shield her from it for years.

I was a little confused with the portion of the story where Marcus abuses the girl outside the theater, I'm guessing Marcus was upset that this new guy Josh had joined the theater. It's a good scene but maybe a little more clarification on why he's mad and what is his relationship with the girl. It might also be interesting to see how Margaret turns out, did this experience scar her for life and she ended up like her mother? You might could even tell if anything eventually happened to Marcus, did he ever get caught abusing someone else? Did he ever see Margaret again? But, those are just minor suggestions.

Nice work!

No comments:

Post a Comment