Thursday, February 9, 2012

Response to T.C.Boyle's "The Love of my Life"

This story definitely shows that you can't judge a story by its title. This story is not all what I thought it would be but I did find it intriguing and it was very well written.

The story is about two teenagers, Jeremy and China, who have a typical, young high-school romance. They spend all their time together, do everything with each other,etc. The story soon shifts when it becomes known that China is pregnant. China refuses to get an abortion and insists on keeping the baby and attending college. When college is set to begin, Jeremy and China go their separate ways to different universities. China then calls on Jeremy when she is about to give birth, after giving birth, Jeremy then takes the baby wraps it in a blanket and throws it into the dumpster. The story ends with Jeremy about to go on trial and China is under house arrest and she still clings to the memories of the former love story.

The story is definitely abstract and like I said before, very well written. I really enjoyed the beginnings of the story, when the couple is happy and I think there were some very good details and imagery throughout that section. The story soon turns to more dark subject matter and while I did find it interesting, it is a bit difficult to read at times. I understand that without throwing the baby into the dumpster it would not have given the story the complete ending and the tone I think it was going for, it still is a very disturbing image. However, I enjoy reading new pieces and stories that I might not necessarily read on my own and this story fits that criteria. A lot of readers really enjoy abstract pieces, and don't get me wrong this piece was very good, I'm just not sure I could write about some of the darker material which is in this story. But, this is a story that will definitely stick with me and its not one that you will forget after reading, which is what makes a story good.

1 comment:

  1. Just keep in mind that the best works are able to deal with the dark parts of life -- Lolita, In Cold Blood, Beloved . . .

    Just imagine how boring the story would have been if all we had was what led up to the pregnancy. There would have been no story.

    ReplyDelete